Being a green business is the right thing to do. As we use up vital resources that cannot easily be replaced, companies must take the lead in being sustainable and doing whatever possible to protect and preserve the environment. We expanded our business in 2010 in the most ecologically-friendly way possible, including:
- Renovating an old pharmaceutical facility rather than build from scratch – this minimized the impact on the surrounding neighborhood and forests
- Installing a unique 320 kW solar rooftop system, which allows us to:
- Collect and utilize solar power onsite
- Reduce our building’s lifetime commercial power grid consumption – up to 400 MWhrs of energy per year
- Offset roughly 30 percent of our energy needs – equivalent to 7,364 trees or 32,598 gallons of gasoline
- Minimizing water consumption by utilizing a smart storm water retention strategy, which includes:
- Bio-retention ponds
- Low water use plumbing fixtures
- Strategic landscaping of drought tolerant plants and shrubs
- Giving employees their own recycling bins – they have to walk to a trash can to throw something away, which encourages them to think about their own waste habits
- Having a bar in the training facility made of recycled glass
- Installing tinted windows and motion-sensing lights in all rooms to keep energy costs low
In addition, we have our own hops field out back behind the building. Our goal is to ultimately partner with local brewing companies to produce a completely local beer.
Our efforts have been recognized by the Triangle Commercial Real Estate Women (TCREW) Champion Award in the Green and Sustainability category. Mims Distributing was also named as one of the top three “green” businesses in the Triangle by the Raleigh Downtowner Magazine, a monthly publication that selects award winners annually through readers’ choice polls.
Sustainable companies are the businesses of the future. At Mims Distributing, sustainability is our way of life.